Recently, single-parent families are becoming more common than ever. Raising a child on your own is challenging. As a single parent, you might have the sole responsibility for every aspect of a child’s care and development.
However, children raised by such single parents can be as happy and healthy as children living with two biological parents. A child does well when his parents use positive parenting solutions with warm, sensitive, and nurturing qualities.
Why Single Parents Children Need Positive Parenting?
When a parent uses warm empathy, nourishing values, and a positive attitude it is known as Gentle parenting. Single parents need this approach to raise happy and healthy kids.
This is possible in case of single parents only when-
- Parents have support from family and friends.
- Single parents feel confident enough about their parenting.
- Are focused on being a good parent.
Unfortunately, the reality is that solo parenting is usually stressful, demanding, and hectic. A single mom or single dad feels pressure about parenting and they often feel emotionally deprived. In this situation children suffer a lot. That’s why they are in greater need of positive parenting.
Challenges Of Single Parents
From loneliness to a sense of guilt- a single parent fights many emotional struggles with himself. Apart from that running a single parent family is tough.
Let’s see a few common single-parent challenges.
Imparting Discipline In Children
Children of single parents may feel emotional stress and can engage either in aggressive behavior or in a lousy lifestyle routine.
- Parents can use various behavior charts to motivate kids.
- Use smart tools to discipline a child. E.g. If kids have excessive screen time and you find it difficult to discipline him, use Bit Guardian Parental Control to limit his screen craze.
The harsh societal judgment faced by solo parents is soul-crushing. Instead of showing sympathy and giving support to the separated spouse, society judges them and makes them feel lonely.
- Negative family members give them a real hard time to cope with the situation.
- As a result of all this, a single parent starts feeling self-doubts and suffers from low self-esteem.
- Do not let society erode your self-confidence. Engage in activities that help you regain your self-worth.
Burden Of Finances
In a family unit, each partner financially helps in meeting monetary obligations. In the case of a solo parent handling the financial responsibility solely is the most frustrating and burdensome issue.
- Managing kids’ academics, hobbies, and other expenses are really difficult for single parents.
- Such parents need to spend more hours at work to meet all financial needs.
Not only the single parent but the single parent family have to deal with the loss of a partner and the gap they left in the family. One of the greatest challenges of single parenthood is to deal with your own loneliness.
- You will no longer have the same emotional fulfillment you had with your partner when you both were together and this fact you need to realize as soon as possible.
- Surround yourself with friends and family to deal with your loneliness. Be busy at work and enjoy your favorite hobby.
How Single Parents Can Practice Positive Parenting?
To employ positive parenting you need to make a few positive changes in your life. Here are a few ways that can boost your parental energies in more positive ways.
Set Up A Strong Support System
Set up a strong support team that can be with you to support your life in every aspect.
- Have someone around you that can look after your kids in case you need to run out to finish some important task.
- Be friends with like-minded people that can talk to you when you feel sad and confused.
- Keep in touch with family members that can be your emotional source of strength and if needed can help you in managing finances as well.
Do Not Overpamper
Often single-parents children are overpampered. Sometimes the sense of guilt of a solo parent triggers overcaring and mollycoddling nature.
- Treat your kids as kids. Do not listen to all his demands and do not support his wrong interests.
- Do not try to make him happy with expensive toys and luxury gifts. A loss of co-parent can not be fulfilled with material things. Instead, he may end up being a spoiled brat.
Do Not Let Single Parent Issues Crush Your Spirit
Take time for yourself. The secret to raising a happy child is to be a happy parent. And for that, it’s important to schedule time for yourself.
- Rest your parental stress by indulging in your favorite activities.
- If nothing fancy, enjoy something as simple as taking a warm bubble bath, reading your favorite book, or sleeping maybe!
Any parent can bond a strong relationship with children by practicing warm affection, and positive attention. You might not be able to achieve the right parenting balance, but do not be too hard on yourself.
In most cases being a single parent is not a choice. But let’s have a positive approach for it. If you’re raising a kid on your own, you’re in good company!