Are your parenting skills good enough?
Raising kids is not a cakewalk. One has to use Chanakya’s Neetis as well as Sun Tzu’s principles to navigate the parenting issues. There is hardly any parent present in the whole world who considers themselves perfect. The reason is simple, no one is born a parent. One has to improve with time and learn lessons from the situations thrown at them. No matter how hard you find it to tackle your kids, if you are willing to develop your parenting skills, you are indeed a good parent.
First of all, let us see exactly what is our definition of a Good Parent.
Who Is A Good Parent?
A good parent is the one who wants to help their kid grow to their full potential in life. They make efforts to make their child an asset to society. Someone who takes decisions, keeping in mind the well-being of their child is a good parent.
You can refer to your parenting skills pdf to find how to be a good parent. Wait, What? You don’t have any? Worry not! It is okay to go with the flow and learn from your mistakes, but it would be great if you have a manual that can prevent you from stumbling. That is why our parenting experts have developed a list of good parenting skills and ways to achieve them.
First things first, let us see what are good child-rearing skills.
What Are Good Parenting Skills?
- Loving and Affectionate- You are physically as well as emotionally affectionate towards your children.
- De-stress parenting skills- You know how to manage your stress as well as you teach your kids how to deal with theirs.
- Relationship management- You know how to maintain relationships with people connected with you and your children.
- Celebrate Independence- You support your kids, but at the same time encourage them to be independent and self-reliant.
- Knows the value of Proper Education- Not just academic education, but you inspire your kids to be lifelong learners. You also provide new opportunities concerning education for your children.
- Awareness of Life Parenting Skills– You make efforts to fulfill the needs of your children. You care about their future and that is why you plan everything about their future.
- Behavior Management- You believe in using positive methods of reinforcement. Your punishments are not crucial. Rather, you try to teach your kids a lesson in a subtle way.
- Importance of Health– You follow as well as inspire your kids to follow a healthy lifestyle.
- Religious and Spiritual– You teach your kids to be religiously and spiritually inclined. You are in favor of spiritual development.
- Aware of Safety– For you, the safety and security of your kid are of utmost importance. You monitor your kid’s offline as well as online activities to ensure they are safe.
These are the skills that help parents raise healthy, joyful, and successful kids. If you are lacking one of these skills, it does not mean you are a bad parent. You have made it halfway through this blog which itself proves that you are committed to being the best parent. I have covered all the qualities of a good parent, now let me tell you how to further build your parenting skills.
How To Build Your Parenting Skills
Below mentioned are some useful tips and tricks which can help you to develop your parenting skills:-
Listen To Your Children
And, by listening I also mean understanding what they are trying to say. Often, parents ignore their kids when they are too busy or distracted by anything. The best parenting skills include simply asking for five minutes if you think that your kids do not have your full attention. Avoid any distractions while talking. Rather than focusing on what to respond, try to pick on cues and understand the whole matter.
Display Your Affection
Do you love your children?
Of course, you do! Then do not shy away from conveying this to your kids through actions as well as words. By actions, I do not mean spoiling them by fulfilling their unrealistic expectations. I mean long hugs or simply spending time with them. As per psychology, good parenting skills should include displaying your love and affection towards your kids from time to time. It releases oxytocin (feel-good hormones) and helps your child to develop resilience and compassion.
Be Tough For The Right Thing
What if in your own childhood no one pointed out your mistakes?
Probably, you would have grown up to be a mess. It is necessary to be slightly tough if the situation demands. Let me clear that it doesn’t mean shouting or hitting. It is a complete NO. Enforce practical rules and regulations and decide a subtle punishment.
For example, if they didn’t complete their homework, cut their screen time by 25%.
Keep Your Emotions In Check
You are the role model for your kids. If you behave violently in front of them, they will reciprocate the same. Whether you are having an argument with your partner or anyone else, try to be calm. Good parenting skills include being calm and composed in any situation. Your kids will also learn to be cool from you even if the situation is tough.
Monitor Their Activities
No, monitoring is not equal to spying. You just need to keep an eye on their behavior with their friends as well as strangers. It is very important for their safety. Bit Guardian Parental Control can prove to be your best mate in keeping an eye on the apple of your eyes online and offline. It will help you to enforce digital rules, control their screen time, track their offline footprints as well as monitor their online activity.
Don’t pressurize yourself. It is ok to fail sometimes. You may feel disappointed after seeing other parents dealing with their children flawlessly. Remember, there is a lot more to things and situations than what meets the eye. The same applies to your kids. If they messed up in any area, do not overreact. Rather, support them and inspire them to do better the next time.
Parenting Skills: The Bottom Line
A good parent does not mean a perfect guardian. No one is perfect in this whole world. Even kids are not perfect, then how parents and their parenting skills can be. You do not need to be the best, you just need to be better than you already are. Use our positive parenting skills guide to move in the right direction. It does not matter if you failed to follow some of them. At least you have started your journey to be a good parent.