Teens and screens are inseparable these days. It seems a teenager’s phone is his biggest addiction. And It would be no wrong to say that this generation Z is becoming smartphone zombies with their cell phone obsession.
According to child experts, social media and smartphones affect our kids’ childhood adversely. Moreover, limiting teens’ screen craving is way more difficult, as they are in the stage wherein, they want to explore the unseen world as much as possible.
So, how to turn their smartphone addiction into a responsible online behavior? Keep reading this article to uncover the tricks and tips to limit teenage cell phone addiction.
How To Motivate Teens To Get Off Their Phones?
Undoubtedly, gadgets are a quick door to the outside world. They are useful in many ways, but anything in excess is harmful. When teens stay glued to their phones they unknowingly invite many potential dangers.
What Are The Dangers Of Teenage Cell Phone Addiction?
Captivating apps, social media, addictive games, etc are the main culprits of excessive screen time. Here are some of the potential dangers which are attached to these platforms.
- Cyber Scams – The more time your teen spends on cell phones, the more he is prone to various digital dangers. Kids are unaware that their reckless surfing may risk their digital life. Phishing, hacking, online predators, bullying, etc are increasing day by day.
- Unsuitable Apps/content – Another risk attached to excessive device usage is the availability of inappropriate apps and content. A curious teen wants to explore any online chatting/dating app. One such misleading platform is Omegle. Such apps/platforms use adult language with unsuitable content.
- Social Media Platforms – One of the major reasons teens stay active on their phones is social media sites. The extensive usage of social media generates a false sense of identity. Gradually, teens start depending on the unknown friends for validation and approvals. And if their post can not earn likes/comments they start feeling stressed and unmotivated.
- Sedentary Lifestyle – Today’s teens are drowning into their cellphones like never before and so, they live a less active life. And in extreme cases, they have a sedentary lifestyle. Due to which they started developing poor eyesight, obesity, weak posture, and many other physical health issues.
- Lack Of Social-Interests – Nowadays children are so accustomed to screens that they no longer enjoy sports and various ground-based activities they used to play with friends. They no longer enjoy the interaction with real-life friends, neighbors, or even family members, for that matter. As a result of all these, children lack social skills and street-smart skills.
- Poor Mental Health – According to experts, excessive screen usage alters the brain’s cognitive response skills. The human brain is not trained to focus on the cell phone screen for hours, instead, its fundamental function is getting engaged in various life events, moods, and situations. A child suffers from poor mental and emotional health when he is under excessive screen usage for a long period.
How Parental Control App Limits Teenage Cell Phone Addiction?
The one-stop solution to teen’s phone addiction is parental control apps. It is the latest parenting trend to safeguard kids with a reliable child monitoring app. One such effective app is Bit Guardian Parental Control. Check out the main features of this one of the best parenting apps of 2020.
- Keep your children safe with App Install Block and App Block features. This Android app blocker allows only age-friendly apps in kid’s devices.
- Screen time features such as App Time Limit, and Time Schedule help parents reduce teen’s screen time effectively. You can set limits to various addictive apps.
- With this app, parents can supervise teens’ digital activities remotely.
- Collectively, this app restricts, limits, and guards your child while he explores the online world.
How Can You Limit Your Teens’ Phone Usage?
Limiting teenager’s smartphone usage is a tricky business. Here are some of the proven ways that can motivate your children to get off their phones.
Be Their Role Models
A child learns a lot from their parents. So your actions should always reflect the right things.
- If you want to cut down your teen’s screen time, you first have to limit your own.
- Lecturing how the phone is dangerous for teenagers while checking out your mails will only end up in heated arguments. Set a good example to combat teenage cell phone addiction.
Establish Strict Rules
Teenagers’ phones are their weakness. Establish strict rules to tame them.
- Set a family cell phone usage rules for every family member.
- Establish device-free zones in the house where no one is allowed to use devices.
Treat Teenager’s Phone Addiction With Communication
Open and transparent communication always helps to understand things better.
- Discuss the dangers of cellphone addiction and why you are setting different rules.
- Once teenagers know the drawbacks of excessive screen time, they will automatically try to control their usage.
Encourage Their Hobbies And Offline-Interests
The best way to treat teens’ cell phone addiction is to come up with exciting ideas that interest them.
- Encourage their hobbies and promote games/sports etc.
- You can also come up with fun and productive things that the entire family can do together and spend some time away from screens.
Instead of seeing your teenagers’ phone addiction helplessly, set strict rules. We recommend you to put an end to teens’ cell phone addiction once and for all with Bit Guardian Parental Control.
Before smartphones destroy your kids’ childhood, start taking action! After all, an act of prevention is worth a pound of cure!