Today’s parents need to guide their kids not just in the real world but also in the virtual world. Teaching a healthy use of technology to our children will make them calm, safe and successful digital citizens. From a toddler who seems to know the in and out of iPad to teens who want some freedom, we will walk you through how to use technology in a healthy way.
As per the latest news, the lockdown phase sees a massive upsurge in the usage of the mobile Internet. And patents are vigorously finding out tech-break ideas for kids. So, here we share practical tips and tricks to disconnect your kids from excessive tech-usage.
How Does Technology Affect Children?
Assessing positive and negative effects of technology on children’s development is a must task before restricting children.
- Technology harms kids’ attention spans– Children exposed to high amounts of technology may suffer from frequent visual stimulation and short attention spans.
- Increased Screen time may result in aggression– Teens who excessively use various devices show increased aggression. Also, children’s exposure to violent games and hate-driven content might make them aggressive.
- Excessive Tech-usage invites sedentary Lifestyle– Time spent with technology means time spent sitting. Moreover, active indoor or outdoor playtime has now been altered by this sedentary activity. As a result of this lifestyle creates an obese, less active, and physically weak generation.
- Extremely Active virtual lives disconnect real-life Attachments– While kids spend hours using various online platforms to enjoy active virtual life, they gradually miss the real-life connections. Also, It makes children socially inactive and emotionally weak.
- Too Much Screen-time Increases Behavior Problems– Kids’ increased exposure to technology likely to affect his emotional and psychological state. Additionally, such kids need constant validations and approvals. Children who have televisions in their bedrooms show poor academic performance.
Apart from these, there are many ill-effects of excessive-tech consumption. Let’s discuss effective ways to relax kids’ screen life.
Practical Ways To Limit Children’s Tech-Usage
To limit kids’ screen time is a challenging task. Different ages of child development will require different strategies. Here are the best methods to employ digital detox.
Unplug Toddlers’ Screen Addiction With Alternative Activities
At this age kids just get introduced to technologies through parents. If parents take care of toddlers’ technology consumption well in advance, no kids will develop the habit of getting glued to devices.
- Do not distract infants and toddlers with Tv and smartphones. The temporary distraction may sow the seeds of tech addiction at an early age.
- Never use Youtube videos and cartoons as a side by attraction to feed babies and young kids. Instead, replace these habits with attractive alternatives.
- Use some music-based toys to divert his mind while he is crying. Use colorful blocks and games to keep him busy when you feed him.
Set A Timer For Preschoolers
Preschoolers are the kids around 2-6 years of age. Their curiosity is on a pick and vibrant colors and graphics attract them to the screen.
- It’s fine if your preschoolers enjoy Disney movies or his favorite cartoon shows. But if he starts crying when you limit his screen time, you should start setting timers to curtail kids’ screen time.
- At this age, you can easily mold a kid’s habits. Set a reminder or timer after every 20 minutes for preschoolers’ healthy technology consumption.
- By doing this, you not only limit his screen times but also train his mind to switch the activity once the reminder or timer rings.
Establish Device-Free Zones For School-Going Kids
These days every school-going kid uses devices. Kids may use it for study purposes, to get help in their school projects or just to play games with friends.
- Digital technology and child development are directly connected. There are many positive usages of technology and preschoolers know it the most.
- However, seeing the current online trends, school going kids may misuse or in most cases overuse devices.
- Establish device-free zones in your house. Educate kids not to use any tech-device in such zones.
- A kid’s bedroom or dining area can be such a device-free zone where you can enjoy family time without any devices.
Use Parental Control App To Limit Teens’ Screen Time
It seems teens and screens are inseparable. Limiting teens’ device usage is the most challenging task for parents. However, effective screen time control apps like Bit Guardian Parental Control can restrict kids’ screen time.
- Screen time control features of the app like App Time Limit, Time Schedule, and Kiosk Mode are accurate and a one-time solution for teens’ excessive screen time usage.
- The App Block and App Install Block features can put an end to app addiction.
- Parents can monitor a kid’s app usage and can protect and restrict teens’ online lives.
Install Bit Guardian Parental Control now to employ effective digital detox to all the age groups of kids. Raise a calm, healthier and happier kid who is active both in real and virtual life as well.