It is a scary time for all of us. The coronavirus epidemic is making us fearful. When kids hear adults talking about Coronavirus and they have no clues of it, they worry more.
And seeing the increasing numbers of Corona infected people, it is high time we should keep our kids well-informed about Covid-19.
So, here are a few tips for parents to deal with the situation.
- Don’t be afraid to discuss the real situation of Coronavirus to your kids. Let them know the reality of the outside world.
- Make your conversation an opportunity to convey coronavirus facts and updates to your kids.
- The purpose of the discussion should be to help your children understand what is COVID-19. They should know what is this new disease and how it gets widespread.
- Make them aware of the symptoms of Coronavirus. Kids should be well-aware of COVID-19 symptoms. Discuss the symptoms and real situations in an informative way. The goal here is not to scare kids but to make them informed.
Deal with Your Own Anxieties
- When you are sharing information about Coronavirus to your kids, observe your own mental state attentively.
- Consciously address your anxieties and consider the fact that panicking about the situation will not help you or your children.
Do Not Entertain Frightening Fantasies
- Welcome your child to share everything they may have heard about the coronavirus with you. You need to know how they feel about it.
- Offer ample of opportunities to ask questions about Coronavirus disease. By his questions, you can pick the clues about the kid’s mental state.
- They may come across many social media posts related to Covid-19. Whatsapp, Facebook, and other social media sites are witnessing the flood of Corona -related posts.
- Avoid encouraging fake numbers, news, rumors, and threats about Coronavirus disease. Educate your child not to notice such frightening and unauthentic posts.
Reassure Your Child
- Children are very sensitive and despite discussing the Corona epidemic, there are chances they may seriously worry about it and might have a deep fear of catching the Coronavirus.
- Reassure your child that there are rare chances of him catching the Covid-19. In fact, the flu is much more common and there is the least possibility of him getting infected.
Focus More On Safety Precautions
- The easiest way to reassure your child is to focus more on the safety measures. Children feel safe when they know what they should do to stay safe.
- Establish a guideline of hygienic habits. Set a few healthy practices that can safeguard kids from any infections.
- If kids ask about medicines or face masks, explain it is not necessary for most of the people.
- When kids notice people wearing face masks, explain that they may have pre-existing health issues. Or maybe they are acting extra cautious.
Stick to Your Routine
- At this time, it is highly possible that your kid’s daycare or schools shut down due to Corona disease. But you can not let your kids be free the whole day and worry about the situations.
- Make them stay rooted in their routine, even if they don’t go to school. They can study, have exercise or follow their class activities at home.
- Do not underestimate the structured day and regular meal timings. They keep children engaged happy and healthy.
- Currently, no vaccine or treatment is available to cure Covid-19, so the best strategy is to prevent any infection.
- Educate your children to wash their hands frequently with soap water or they can use hand sanitizer (with a minimum of 60%-90% alcohol)immediately after sneezing and coughing.
- Train your kids to stay away from others who are sick or infected.
- Your children should cough or sneeze into a tissue paper and then it should be discarded.
- Keep your house clean. Disinfect all the household objects, surfaces, and desks.
- Avoid traveling if not necessary and stay away from overcrowded places.
- Avoid eating non-vegetarian dishes. If you can’t, you should eat well-cooked meat and eggs.
- If any family member is suffering from chronic illness, there are high chances they may get infected easily. Children should avoid any contact with such a patient.
A Bonus Tip To Conclude
In the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak, you may think that it is important to stay updated about Coronavirus news. But it is more important to take a break from the news. How many times will you listen about the virus and how much energy you will invest to think about it every day.
After all, it is not something to get obsessed with, rather just be conscious and stay aware. The reason Covid-19′s high fatality rate is its unfamiliarity. Once we find (very soon we will find it)the proper vaccine and treatment it will be just another flu for us.
So, till that, stay safe, stay happy. Keep your children well-informed but not anxious.